Four years ago, I started writing my first newspaper column: EV in Paradise for Maui Weekly, the free local paper with a website. A year later, funding for the electric vehicle project ended. Nine months afterwards, the newspaper folded. The website disappeared overnight. What happened to those articles?
As an educator and director of the EV project, I felt compelled to write timely articles that were timeless. Such was the exact motto when I wrote for McGraw-Hill’s Global Energy Business and Energy IT as editor. By “timely” I meant relevance, that people were ready and hungry to read it. By “timeless” I meant no sell-by-date: the article would not expire because it was educational.
There was plenty to write about. Every time we had an EV meeting, new questions would be asked. When EV drivers met, they spoke in their own language. Writing a regular column was more efficient than sending press releases and hoping someone would cover an event or interview.
I started with a topic everyone talked about: range anxiety. What is it? What’s the big deal? Is there a prevention or cure?
Next, for Maui especially, there was the obvious link between photovoltaic panels on your roof and your electric vehicle. It didn’t make sense to charge at home if you didn’t have PV.
Partly because I got tired of broken links on my Energy page, I decided to look for those EV articles on the Internet Wayback Machine, an invaluable tool that serves as a back-up for webpages and websites.
EV in Paradise, Maui Weekly Newspaper Column January 2013 – April 2014
- EV for Earth Day, Maui Weekly, 17 April 2014
- Rent an EV for an Extended Test Drive, Maui Weekly, 23 January 2014
- Charging Your Electric Vehicle Can Be Simple and Inexpensive, Maui Weekly, 7 November 2013
- Many Factors are Reducing EV Costs, Maui Weekly, 24 October 2013
- Electric Vehicles in Paradise: how to boost the market in Hawaii, Maui Weekly, 12 September 2013
- The Chicken or the Egg? Maui Weekly, 5 September 2013
- The EV Lifestyle Change, Maui Weekly, 6 June 2013
- The Maui EVA Story, presented at the 1st Sustainability Summit, UH West Oahu, 12 April 2013
- The Electric Drive to Hana, Maui Weekly, 28 March 2013
- The PV to EV Link, Maui Weekly, 7 Feb 2013
- The Cure for Range Anxiety, Maui Weekly, 10 Jan 2013