Welcome to my new website! This site is the culmination of a long journey.
- 1999: first website “analyticalQ presents a platform for self-expression, a passion for world travel, in pursuit of flexibility“
- 2000: first blog (Diary of Anne Ku) 365 consecutive days
- 2001: Bon Journal – reviews of books, hotels, and cultural events (theatre, concerts, movies, etc)
- 2002: Bekkers Piano Guitar Duo - four centuries of music original, arranged, transcribed, commissioned for piano and guitar
- 2009: Concertblog – cultural economics
- 2010: Maui Tips for Newcomers
You are welcome to contact me via the REPLY FORM below or LINKED-IN.
In a network society, you find out about someone through networks, but sometimes you’d rather read a biography, a curriculum vitae, or a press release. Here are different biographical blurbs about me. But first, some bullet points:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, magna cum laude, Electrical Engineering, 2nd major Mathematics, Duke University, 1982 [summer courses at Cornell University, New College Oxford University; junior year study abroad at McGill University]
- Master of Science in Operational Research, with distinction, London School of Economics, 1987
- PhD, Decision Science, London Business School, 1995, thesis
- Bachelor of Music with Honors in Composition; Teaching Diploma in Piano, Utrecht Conservatory, 2008
The biography on the University of Hawaii’s first sustainability summit (April 2013) has a short blurb focussing on my background and interest in energy.
A short biography appears in the agenda of the Department of Energy Clean Cities EV Readiness Planning Meeting in May 2013:
Anne Ku directs the Maui Electric Vehicle Alliance, the Department of Energy Clean Cities funded EV-readiness project, which has seen the stakeholders multiply ten-fold and its reach extended to the neighboring islands of Kaua’i and the Big Island. The project’s main focus is on developing adequate infrastructure for mass adoption of electric vehicles to reduce reliance on fossil fuel imports and increase EV charging from renewable energy sources. The plan to deliver an electric vehicle paradise to the millions of visitors depends on local residents and businesses to pave the way. After earning her PhD in Decision Science from London Business School, Anne worked in the energy sectors in the USA and Europe. Her multi-contributor book “Risk and Flexibility in Electricity: an introduction to the fundamentals and techniques” is available from Riskbooks.
The first paragraph of my latest CV says this:
Born in Brunei, I grew up on Taiwan and Okinawa before winning a full scholarship to Duke University. Since then I have lived in eight countries and developed a collaborative mindset through working with different industry experts as energy magazine editor and with classical musicians as composer, pianist, and concert producer. My formative training in mathematics and engineering has helped me grasp the details of emerging technology and communicate in layman’s terms, always stepping outside my comfort zone to embrace fresh new challenges.
The biography on the University of Maui College Music Department page says something entirely different:
Born in Brunei of Hakka mother and Shanghainese father, Anne Ku lived in Taiwan and Okinawa before winning a full scholarship to Duke University. Her senior piano recital of works of Ravel, Debussy, and Poulenc was inspired by her first encounter of French impressionist music at Oxford University the previous summer. After earning her doctorate from London Business School and working in the energy sectors in US and Europe, she turned her attention to music, obtaining a degree in composition and wrote her piano teaching diploma on sightreading at Utrecht Conservatory in the Netherlands. She has performed widely as a chamber musician and accompanist, launched new concert series, produced concerts, and conducted business skills workshops for musicians. She writes previews, reviews, and blogs about cultural economics at http://concertblog.wordpress.com.
The above is a condensation of a longer biography on my piano guitar duo website.
Meanwhile, check out the ABOUT ME page.